This is the list of chemicals contained in cigarettes that begin with the letter A. Some explanations of what they are have been included - the rest are a work in progress. Some are just scary! When we smoke cigarettes our bodies become overloaded with these chemicals and quite often when we quit smoking we become unwell or sometimes violently ill for a while. This is due to the body learning to function in their absence.
-an aromatic chemical compound with an aroma like butter it is used to flavour butter. In nature it is found in the glandular secretions of the beaver.
- makes up 5% of vinegar - used in the manufacture of plastics, dyes and insecticides.
- also known as acetyl methyl carbinol and it is also used to flavour butter.
- used in resins and fragrances.
- food flavouring.
- perfume fragrant.
- used in coffee, tomato juice and as a perfume fragrant.
- found in beef and pork.
- food flavouring 1309
- food flavouring 1316
- food flavouring 1041
- by-product of sugar cane processing.
- an amino acid found in food proteins.
- alfalfa is a common herb
Allspice Extract, Oleoresin, and Oil
- used in soups, chewing gum and meat.
- pineapple flavour.
- food additive used in jellies and puddings.
Almond Bitter Oil
- a volatile oil that contains prussic acid (also known as cyanide)
- whale vomit: a fatty waxy substance that forms in the intestines of the sperm whale, it is foul smelling and floats on the ocean surface.
- a colourless pungent gas produced by the decomposition of nitrogenous organic matter.
- Commonly used as an inexpensive nitrogen fertilizer in China.
- Household ammonia is dilute ammonium hydroxide and is used in many cleaning agents.
Ammonium Phosphate Dibasic
- Used as fertilizer and as a fire retardant.
- Used in photographic developing.
- a colourless oily liquid that is used along with the whole Amyl family as a solvent.
- Has a smell similar to pears apricots and is used specifically as a flavouring in cigarettes.
- amyris is a flowering plant in the citrus family
Angelica Root Extract, Oil and Seed Oil
- a herb in the parsley family used as an antiseptic.
- the fruit of the pimpinella anisum plant used as an expectorant.
Anise Star, Extract and Oils
- extract oil from pimpinella anisum plant.
Apple Juice Concentrate, Extract, and Skins
- exactly what it says
Apricot Extract and Juice Concentrate
- exactly what it says
- used in the making of optical materials
Asafetida Fluid Extract And Oil
- a pungent herb used in cooking.
- white crystalline vitamin present in citrus fruits and other fruits and veg.
- amino acid found in many foods and body proteins.
- used in fungicides, germicides and detergents.
B C D E F-G-H I-L M N-O P Q-R-S T-Z